Posts for: June, 2019
You knew that your parents' needs would change with age, but did you anticipate the changes would worry you so much? Here at KSI Companion Care in Houma, LA, Dr. Patrick Haydel and Personal Care Coordinator Richard Beniot understand that deciding on senior home assistance can be both emotional and confusing. Fortunately, they can help you recognize your loved ones' needs and craft a care plan to help them age successfully at home.
There is a wonderful alternative
Getting older doesn't necessarily mean nursing homes or assisted living placement. In fact, the 2010 US census reported that almost 97 percent of retirement-aged people live in their own homes or apartments—in other words, independently. However, as reported in Forbes, it can often be difficult for families to determine how successfully and safely their senior members function at home.
At KSI Companion Care in Houma, LA, our professional staff helps families determine when to take advantage of at-home non-medical senior care. They also show people how that care plan should look and provide wonderful, fully vetted caregivers to carry it out.
Health, safety, and companionship
These are the key areas to think about when considering senior home assistance. Ask yourself these questions about your parents, and if possible, include them in the process.
- Do your parents have a new medical diagnosis and an increased need for doctor's appointments, medications, physical therapy, oxygen, and other therapies?
- Can they remember what medication to take and when to take it?
- Are they at risk for falls or other injuries due to impaired mobility, low vision, dizziness, or other medical problem?
- Can your parents safely navigate from room to room, go to the bathroom, and take care of their personal hygiene needs competently?
- Is the home equipped with safety equipment such as grab rails and an automated senior alert system?
- Can they drive to do their errands, go to church, see friends, shop, and get to medical appointments?
- Can they prepare their own meals? Is the food nutritious and accommodating of any medical conditions such as diabetes or congestive heart failure?
- Are your parents connected with personal friends, a local church community, or senior center?
- Would they benefit from daily interaction with a caregiver who could engage them in their hobbies, take them for walks or rides, care for their pets, and engage them in conversation?
You know your loved one
At KSI Companion Care, the dedicated and compassionate staff recognize that families want only the best for their elderly parent or relative. We can help you sort through the decision to begin senior home assistance. Why not call KSI Companion Care for a consultation? We can give you the peace of mind that you and your loved one need. Phone (985) 655-4444 today.